Saturday, December 09, 2006

Dilemmas

Over the years, I've had lots of advice about what to wear for gigs ( - but can I call them "gigs", or is that just sad? Doesn't "talk" sound boring? When I did writing workshops in schools, that was okay - "workshop" sounds fun enough - but what if it isn't a workshop? "School visits"? Too much like something a nit nurse does - ) but I never got the same advice twice. I'll give you a selection:

Always wear black.
Whatever you do, don't wear black.
Look like you've made an effort.
Whatever you do, don't look like you've made an effort.
Don't dress like a teacher.
Try not to look like somebody's mother.
Give them something interesting to look at in case what you're saying isn't.
Wear jeans.
Wear anything but jeans ...

It's tough. I don't know what to call what I do, and I don't know what to wear when I'm doing it. Thank goodness it's the writing that's my day job - for somebody whose commute involves coming downstairs, jammies and a dressing gown are the garments of choice. And I can call it anything I like!

Joan.

P.S. Here's me, clutching Questors, in one version of my gig/talk/visit gear. Photo courtesy of the Angus Courier, 29 Nov. 2006, Kirriemuir Town Hall.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home