Saturday, November 11, 2006

Culpeper's Scorpion

I'm a big fan of Nicholas Culpeper, the 17th century herbalist. He has many strange and useful things to suggest to help us deal with the stuff life throws at us. One of his recommendations is using basil as an antidote for scorpion venom. However, he warns, avoid smelling the basil too much, or you may breed a scorpion in your head.

Many people don't know that.

For me, though, it's not too much basil that breeds head scorpions. It's too much computering. Ice Road is at the stage where I'm spending less time looking at pieces of paper and more time staring at screens - moving things around, rejigging chapters, stitching sections together. It's a fun stage to be at - the end in sight, hurrah! - but, as I say, there is this thing with the scorpion ...

So am I melancholy? Not at all. Especially when I read what Mr Culpeper recommends for THAT!

Cheers, Joan.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home