Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Mess and the Method

Two things are coming together in my mind this week - the first is a quote from Tolkien* which puts the stage my current Slightly Jones novel The Case of the Hidden City has reached right up there with some very illustrious company.
"The Lord of the Rings was beginning to unroll itself and to unfold prospects of labour and exploration in yet unknown country as daunting to me as to the hobbits. At about that time we had reached Bree, and I had then no more notion than they had of what would become of Gandalf or who Strider was, and I had begun to despair of surviving to find out."  (Introduction to Tree and Leaf.)
Mess.
And then I was sent a thank-you present through the post - a pocket-sized art book called Die Kunst, aufzuraumen by Ursus Wehrli.**  I can't show you the book but I can show you this:
Method.

Like the man said, "Only connect."
* via Lucy Coats on Facebook - thanks!
** via two Jamies in my life - thanks to both! 
P.S.  Over on An Awfully Big Blog Adventure this week with some images that are begging to have their stories told.

3 Comments:

At 5:53 AM, Blogger Penny Dolan said...

Think my way of expressing the first state would be more concise and less poetic than Tolkien's. More along the lines of "where the hell now"?

ps. Tidying Art's a great video for whiling away a coffee break. Thanks.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger madwippitt said...

Enjoyed the video! Didn't think I was going to stay with it through fifteen minutes, but I couldn't stop watching! :-)

Good luck with Slightly!

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger Joan Lennon said...

TED talks do that to you - the internet at its best - though wasn't Ursus' breathing anxiety-inducing?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home