Sunday, August 12, 2012

That Was A Week, That Was!

Last week I was at Moniack Mhor, co-tutoring the Arvon course Writing for Young People - Getting it Flowing with Paul Magrs (guest reader Children's Laureate Julia Donaldson).  Yesterday I came home.  When I started an email to a friend with the words "Hi!  I'm black!" it was a hint I may still not have entirely returned to normal, however.  I've made no attempt to unpack, ferret out dirty laundry, organise my notes.  Yesterday I had an afternoon nap and can't exactly tell you what I did with the evening.*  Today I had a morning nap AND an afternoon nap and seem unable to correctly remember the names of my children.

I think I'm a bit tired.

I think I may also be overdrawn at the word bank.  An Arvon course is a time bulging with words - the search for the right ones, the way you do in any working week, but then thrown into a blender and put on high spin - talking, writing, reading, analysing, commenting, responding - eliciting! - a dance with constantly-changing partners - mix that metaphor! tote that bail ...

It was a blast!  One of the directors said she'd never heard quite so much laughter from a course before.  It's true.  We rocked.

So, here's to the August 6-11 crowd - now that you're home again, get unpacked (go on - set me a good example) and then get down to it - remember ...

Today we write!

Cheers, Joan.

* It was a long drive home - lovely, but long, and with rather more roadworks than you might have wished.  And when you're tired, tailbacks in beautiful countryside carry with them the hidden danger that, as you exchange soulful glances with the cow in the field opposite, you may also be drifting gently into the back of the car in front ...

2 Comments:

At 3:23 AM, Blogger Susan Price said...

Glad you're home safe!

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger madwippitt said...

Welcome home! Hope you stopped before nudging the car in front ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home