Monday, March 28, 2011

Week Four - Moniack Mhor







Yesterday from 8:30 to 9:30 pm was the WWF's Earth Hour. So I lit the cottage's emergency candles, stoked the stove and turned off the lights. I had planned to spend the hour peacefully reading. Have you ever tried to read by 4 candles and a plateful of tealights? With the eyes of youth, maybe, but I'd spent the day at the computer, pushing through a second draft I'd promised myself I'd have finished by the day before. Old eyes, over-used, on strike. So no reading. So I decided I would write a poem. After all, there I was, sitting right in the middle of a metaphor. And I could write BIG so I could see what I was doing. Use the time, Joan! But I didn't do that either.

Instead I watched the candles. Then I watched the fire. Then I watched the light from the fire flicker on the ceiling. Then I watched the red tulips with their green leaves in the white jug, in the candle-light.

That's what I did for Earth Hour.

It was really, really nice.


2 Comments:

At 8:21 AM, Blogger Joan Lennon said...

Weirdly, if you want to see the photos, you need to click on one of the rectangles, wait for it to tell you the connection doesn't work and then press the back button ... and there they'll be!
Technology. Sigh.

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Lari Don said...

I've just had a man in fixing my broadband, which meant that I couldn't use my computer or my landline phone for half an hour. I couldn't write and I couldn't talk. What could I do? Did I even exist? I watched my off school sick child do some colouring in. And it was calming and lovely and made me feel tingly. Candles. Crayons. The important stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home