Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Can You Use the Word "Legerdemain" in a Sentence?

I never have. I'd like to - it's a well cool word - but I can't say, hand to heart (main to coeur, perhaps?) that I actually have. But Anita L. Burkam, reviewer for The Horn Book, has.

Re. Questors, she writes:

"That Lennon manages to create three unique worlds with separate cultures and distinct flavors and unify them in one complicated but complete narrative is a feat of legerdemain hard to equal."

And she doesn't stop there.

"Blending magic and sci-fi, Lennon mingles the fantastical amidst the everday with humor and heart."


I think I'm in love.

Cheers, Joan.

1 Comments:

At 5:24 AM, Blogger Glen said...

Large as it was, it was very full of documents, but he found a place for this one; and having clasped it carefully, passed it by a kind of solemn legerdemain into the same region as before.
-Charles Dickens, Martin Chuzzlewit

 

Post a Comment

<< Home