Monday, October 31, 2011

The Islay Writing Circle - A Day of Words


It's an interesting dilemma you face when you're leading a writing workshop - do you do the exercises (I've been told not to call them challenges!) yourself, at the same time as everybody else, or do you keep yourself available, drifting gently about, ready to leap in if anyone gets stuck? I've tended to be a bit of a drifter in the past, but the Islay Writing Circle is a group I know, and after the initial "You want us to do WHAT?!" I knew they would get well stuck in.

I was not disappointed! It was an excellent day of words. I had asked them to try to take a step sideways from the usual ways they wrote - try a different gender, a different form, a different way of looking - and they stepped with a vengeance. The quality of the writing on the spot was high, and I have hopes that the exercises will feed into the writing that will come after.

Great stuff, Islay Writing Circle, and thank you Mavis for organising and hosting the day, and Live Literature Scotland for their financial support!

Cheers, Joan.

2 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger Mavis said...

Thanks Joan - it was a great day.

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A worthwhile and informative day Thanks Joan, Annette.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home