Saturday, March 12, 2022

Ensemble I Gemelli - A Room of Mirrors

 


La vecchia innamorata by Biagio Marini (1594-1663), from Ensemble I Gemelli's album A Room of Mirrors.

Came across this, liked the sound of it, then went searching for what the words mean ... No luck beyond getting Google Translate to tell me that la vecchia innamorata means the old woman in love.

So what have I posted up here? No idea, really, as far as the lyrics go, so looking to the Italian speakers among you to help me out.  Thanks in advance!

(And if it's really rude, sorry!)



2 Comments:

At 4:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

A toothless, drooling, hunchbacked and scruffy
Old woman is in love with me,
While a courteous, gallant and dashing
Girl flees from me,
So that I scorn she who loves and adores me
And I languish for one who gives me death.
Ah, ah tell me Love, what will be.

The old woman gives me collars,
Shirts and laces, underwear and socks;
The girl gives me pains,
Suffering and rancour, making me suffer;
Thus, I despise my things and my pleasure,
Running after insults, distress, and spite.
Ah, ah, give me luck, Love!

I torment the old woman, I shout at her,
I taunt her and laugh when she gets offended;
I bow and bend towards the girl,
I beg her to have mercy on me;
But the deaf one does not hear my troubles,
And the old one never leaves me alone.

The old woman makes herself a thousand skirts,
Washes and adorns
All parts of her body;
The girl, composed and modest,
Does not stain herself, neither on her head, nor on her face.

Hence, it is better to die for a female youth,
Than to live for an old, painted and polished hag.

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger Joan Lennon said...

Oh dear. Well, the music's still nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home