Sunday, March 23, 2014

New Convert to Pteridomania

At the beginning of this month I did something straight out of a P.G.Wodehouse - I joined in on a public tour of Hospitalfield House, where I will be staying for a 2-week Interdisciplinary Residency at the end of next month.  It wasn't so I could get close to the duke's secretary or steal a cow creamer.  It was because I'm afraid that those 2 weeks are going to pass way, way too quickly.  As a result of a fascinating afternoon, I have a much clearer picture of my project in my mind.  AND I found out about ferneries!




("Gathering Ferns" from The Illustrated London News July 1, 1871)



(Fernery at the Geelong Botanic Gardens in Australia (1892-1902))

I hadn't realised the Victorians were quite so fern crazy, but there is a ruined fernery at Hospitalfield House that has now taken up residence in my head.  More anon, as they say.

Tomorrow the Hospitalfield House people have kindly said I can come back for a few hours to use the library.  I'm really lucky to live close - and if you ever are in the neighbourhood, try a Wednesday Tour - wonderful!  

2 Comments:

At 5:00 AM, Blogger Maureen said...

Ferneries! How marvellous! And soothing, fascinating, and great illustrations! Thanks.

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger madwippitt said...

"Here we go gathering ferns in March, ferns in March, ferns in March &c ..."
Next on your to do list must be a stumpery! A friend who has seen it tells me that Prince Charles has a magnificent one :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home