Sunday, August 25, 2013

Surprising Belfast




This week I've been in Belfast with family who have just moved there.  I went with a pretty clear picture of the problems and no idea of the delights - a) the architecture, b) the Botanic Gardens, c) the Ulster Museum, and d) the wordplay!  I saw, in big black letters, scrawled across the side of a building, the word Graffiti!  I saw a sign on a house for sale with the added banner Too Late.  I didn't go to the Titanic Museum but apparently you can buy t-shirts from there that say She Was Fine When She Left Here.  There was a restaurant selling food from Thailand called Thai Tanic.  I heard a voice marshaling a group of children in the museum saying, "Hands up, anyone who's not here."  And those are just the ones I can remember at the moment.  I'm sure the entire city isn't populated by pleasant, helpful, nicely-spoken, funny people, but that seemed to be all I met.  And although my writer's feet are as sore as anything from walking on all that pavement, I'm feeling ready for some good work with my writer's hands in the week to come.  So, thank you, Belfast! 

4 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, Blogger madwippitt said...

goodness that brought some memories back in a rush! I lived there for a bit when I was a kid: used to trudge home from games lessons at Pirrie Park through the Botanic Gardens and back to Methody, lugging a heavy bag and hockey stick. And the Ulster Museum! I remember going there with some friends: I think the place had been given a massive revamp or something.
Glad you had a good time: is the Ormeau bakery still in existence I wonder? They did the best ever birthday cakes ...

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Penny Dolan said...

Good to go to a place that suddenly whoops you full of energy.

Happy visiting & journeying, though not in that ship . . .(Liked the slogan!)

 
At 2:49 AM, Blogger Susan Price said...

Madwippit - you went to the Methodist College in Belfast? I visited there as a writer once, and was treated like visiting royalty - lunch in the Head's room (which was like a mahogony panelled boardroom) with Irish linen cloths and Waterford crystal - and was given an Irish linen teatowel with a picture of the college on it as a souvenir. I spent a week there, staying with various librarians, and can affirm that Irish hospitality is second to none, not even (but whisper this) the Scottish version.

 
At 3:37 AM, Blogger madwippitt said...

Yeah, I went to Methody! Started there in Kindergarten, then to Fullerton House which sadly is no more, before going up to big school. And the school secretary, Felicity Bolton was our next door neighbour: an amazing lady. Irish hospitality is something else too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home