Saturday, March 02, 2013

Cabinets I Covet






I'm working on the edits for the last Slightly Jones Mystery - The Case of the Hidden City this week and it made me think of Paris ... ah, Paris ...  So I had a trawl through the photos and came across this pair of cabinets with their inlaid birds from the Louvre, that I was pleased to be reminded of.  There may very well be some sort of clever connection to be made between the art of marquetry and the art of editing, amending, inserting a bit here and a bob there, but I can't quite figure out what it would be.  So I'm just going to enjoy the birds, and I hope you do too.

P.S.  Next week is World Book Day week AND StAnza, the St Andrews Poetry Festival, and I will be away from the computer quite a lot, so I'll just flag up now that Tuesday 5th March I'm posting on The History Girls website - come on over! 


8 Comments:

At 5:26 AM, Blogger Gill Arbuthnott said...

That is a truly amazing bit of furniture. But what would one keep in it (assuming not actually the appropriate dead bird)??

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger Joan Lennon said...

Curios. Definitely curios. From the, er, little curio shop.

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Mavis said...

Beautiful!

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Joan Lennon said...

There were two, with completely different birds - if we were to plan a cunning heist we could have one each!

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger madwippitt said...

What lovely work! I had a go at marquetry once and it is more challenging than you'd think ... Beautiful just to look at, even if you didnt haveany curiousities to put in it ... :-)

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Joan Lennon said...

I'd love to have a go at marquetry - another thing to put on the When I Retire list!

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger Sue Purkiss said...

Yep - like the birds very much!

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Joan Lennon said...

All right, we can go for shared custody ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home