Saturday, September 19, 2020

Dear Algorithm

 I like Instagram.  I have a really lovely circle of writers and artists and knitters and nature photographers and cat-and-dog lovers, and the images they put up give me a lot of pleasure.  I like posting my own photos too.  But ...

Why do I keep getting followed by middle-aged white American men who are explicitly Christian/military/musclely?  Why do I keep getting comments about my lovely smile and how much they like the colour of my hair?  I get that it's not that easy to find anything to compliment when you're confronted with a 67 year old woman whose body has gone south in great swathes, but why do you think I want your compliments at all?

Look, dear algorithm - I'm a writer aka broke.  I'm about as sexy as your gran, and I like it that way.  I'm really, utterly, truly not interested.  So go away.

Meantime, I will continue to be bewildered, make regular culls of my followers list, and enjoy the photos from people who couldn't give a toss about the loveliness of my smile!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home