Friday, April 12, 2013

April is the poetry-est month


NaPoWriMo


That's something I'm up to this month.  National Poetry Writing Month is the brain child of US poet Maureen Thorson, and it's been going since 2003.  (So it's taken 10 years for me to notice.  I never claimed to be quick off the mark ... )  If we refer to the site's FAQ:

How do I participate in NaPoWriMo?
Easy! Just write a poem a day for the month of April. You can post them on the internet. You can hide them in a notebook. You can make up a special book just for yourself out of them. Really, all you need to do is write a poem a day for the month of April.
And, so far, I am.  I'm finding it particularly satisfying that, even on days when my other life pretty much scoffs the lot, I can still salvage enough time to write a poem.  Or at very least, the first draft of one.  
I'm trying not to revise any poem beyond the day it's written.  (Okay, I did go back and change an "into" to a "through", but it was really bugging me, and it was just the once.)  Normally I'm rubbish at that thing of putting a piece of work onto a metaphorical back burner to simmer quietly for a while before re-considering it.  But the set-up of NaPoWriMo makes it easier.  Write the things, bung them away, look at them in May.  What will I make of my 30-poem group then?  I will have to wait and see.

Fancy giving it a go?  Don't wait for 2014 - just jump in now.  You won't regret it!


7 Comments:

At 12:57 AM, Blogger Mavis said...

4917 atintsRWell done you - I should be doing it too but am too involved in re-drafting slate. Off for a week on Easdale with Jan Fortune next Saturday. Now that will be full on writing - as long as the muse doesn't desert me.

 
At 2:33 AM, Blogger Joan Lennon said...

Oh well, but you're a poet in the bone, Mavis, and I'm still laying down calcium ... if that's how you build bones!

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Mavis said...

Don't be so modest! Anyone who gets a poem in Northwords Now is a poet with a capital P. I found an interesting American anthology magazine - take a look at Kind of a Hurricane Press. They publish on line and then do a very nicely presented book printed by Amazon. Next deadline is April 30th - theme outer space then there's another one every couple of months.I like themed anthologies - they give me an impetus.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Joan Lennon said...

Thanks - I'll give it a look!

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger madwippitt said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger madwippitt said...

Right,let's see if I can write it properly this time :-D Having had a sneaky peek at some of your poems Joan, I'm hugely impressed and in awe, and think you really should publish them!

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger Joan Lennon said...

Many thanks, Madwippit - and you didn't need to delete your first message - it made me laugh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home